A Brief History of the Society
Although from the 1890s onwards there were a number of attempts to establish an historical society in Northam, it was not until the early 1970s that the present Society was established.
The Society’s objects include:
The promotion and encouragement of research and writing and of the collection, preservation and recording of documentary records and material objects related to the history of Northam and its districts.
The relocation of the Northam Town Council to its new award winning offices at this time allowed the Northam Historical Society to make use of rooms and the former Mayor’s parlour in the Northam Town Hall. The Society has held most of its meetings in the former Mayor’s parlour ever since. The Society was incorporated as Northam and Districts Historical Society under the Associations Incorporation Act 1987 (WA) on 20 April 1987.
By arrangement with the Shire of Northam, the Society manages Northam’s oldest surviving building, the historic Morby Cottage (1836) and its contents and is associated with the preservation of the old Northam Railway Station and an extensive collection of railway related artefacts.
Morby Cottage Video
Our patrons are the Hon Max Trenorden and the Hon Jim Chown who both represent the Agricultural Region in the Legislative Council of the Parliament of Western Australia.